What is the science behind supporting this resolution?
(I kept adding to this list and then publishing it in a blog post, and finally I decided to just put it all in one place to make it handy.)
- Heart attacks go up because of the clock change.
(New England Journal of Medicine, Sleep Medicine Journal)
- There's NO increased risk to children in rural areas.
(American Journal of Public Health)
- Traffic accidents spike on the Monday after "Spring Forward."
(American Economic Association, New England Journal of Medicine)
- Workplace injuries go up.
(Journal of Applied Psychology)
- Strokes go up.
- Staying in DST will improve traffic safety in the winter months, and there is no increased risk to students waiting for school buses.
(Journal of Safety Research)
- Permanent DST saves energy.
(U.S. Department of Energy)
- Permanent DST helps in the fight against childhood obesity.
(Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity and Journal of Physical Activity and Health)
- Workplace productivity goes down because of the clock changes.
(Journal of Applied Psychology, story here)
- Permanent DST will help decrease air pollution.
(Journal of the Air & Waste Management Assn. and Steve Spangler Science)
- Clock-changing harms relationships.
(Wall St. Journal, citing several studies, subscription required)
- Clock-changing brings harsher sentences from judges.
- Getting rid of clock changing will make the stock market perform better.
(Journal of Psychological Reports)
- Staying in DST all year can save wildlife.
(The Royal Society Biology Letters)
- Switching out of DST hurts retail sales.
(JP Morgan Chase Institute)
- Clock-changing increases IVF miscarriages.
- Year-round Daylight Time means people walk and ride bikes more.
(Journal of Environmental Psychology)